Listen to Podcasts and Don't be a Shit Date
TOP 3 POST INSIGHTS:
1. PODCASTS WILL UP YOUR CONVERSATION GAME.
2. TRANSFORM YOUR IDLE TIME AND TRAFFIC JAM TANTRUMS.
3. GREAT FOR THOSE TOO LAZY TO READ
EVERYONE’S HAD A SHIT DATE.
We've all sat there and thought, 'this person's as blank as a new Word document.'
If only they listened to a podcast once in a while... Say 'podcast' and some would think of a loner sitting in a dark corner listening to an episode of ‘how to find friends and kill them for dinner.’ But podcasts aren't just for Hannibal Lecter prodigies.
Some make you laugh so hard you piss your pants, some are educational and some might change the trajectory of your career. Regardless, listening to podcasts make you a better date. I’m not saying they'll necessarily bring the love of your life to your doorstep, but it will certainly up your conversation game.
WHY? BECAUSE THE MORE DIVERSE KNOWLEDGE YOU HAVE, THE EASIER IT IS TO HAVE A CONVERSATION… WITH ANYONE.
Podcasts are the most underrated source of entertainment. You can literally find ANY niche of your liking. From fantasy football, bodybuilding, business and leadership, meditation, erotica, hardcore history through to how to train your dog to love you.
I started listening to podcasts in 2015, and they have literally made me (feel) smarter. ‘Smarter’ in a sense that I now have greater cultural awareness and focus on personal growth. I also know some extra weird shit now that's great for conversation starters.
They’ve also changed the way I approach idle time. Whether it’s the 15-minute walk to the bus, half an hour grocery shop or sitting in an hour traffic jam, why not convert that time to learn something new? You’d be surprise how effective passive listening is.
So where do you start?
Think about your hobbies or interests. What’s something you’re interested in but can’t be bothered reading? For me, it's the journey and mindset of successful business owners.
Here’s my Top 3:
· Lewis is a former pro athlete turned mega entrepreneur, lifestyle/ business coach and investor. His hunger and desire for learning from the top 1% in their field, is just as obsessive as his desire to share the knowledge with the world. I also love how he approaches each interview with humility and gratitude... such a beautiful soul!
· Favourite episodes include negotiation tips by a former FBI Hostage Negotiator, his interview with Tom Bilyeu (Foudner of Quest Nutrition) and Using Neuroscience to Unlocking Your Brain's Full Potential with John Assaraf.
2. The Tim Ferriss Show
· The author of ‘The 4 Hour Work Week,’ Tim destructs world class performers and extracts their tools and routines for us to use.
· Favourite interviews have been with Tony Robins, Jamie Foxx, Arnold Schwarzenegger on psychological warfare and James Altucher on failing better, director Robert Rodriguez and music's biggest producer of the last 20 years Rick Rubin.
3. The #AskGaryVee Show by Gary Vaynerchuk
· Gary is the voice of hustle and entrepreneurship. He is always on the pulse of current affairs/ trends and how they impact business… you might even get a few business ideas from one of his rants.
LISTENING TO MUSIC CAN TAKE YOU TO ANOTHER WORLD; PODCASTS CAN HELP YOU BUILD IT.
So next time you put on headphones, consider taking your brain for a walk into the unknown... because lord knows how many times you've played Drake Too Good. Whilst reciting Drake lyrics on a date can be impressive, great dates happen when you lose yourself in conversation. It's not like you want to sound like a know-it-all, but you might be able to save one of those blank moments of chirping. Do yourself a favour, start listening to podcasts, learn random things, improve yourself and don’t be a shit date. Be weird, eloquent and captivating Hannibal Lecter, minus the cannibalism.