28 Things I Wish I Knew (or Did) Before 28
It’s my birthday, 28 FEELIN’ GREAT!
Everyone says your 20s are the best years of your life… but it doesn’t come without some trivial and ‘formative’ life lessons.
Here’s what I learned:
1. Your job is not a life sentence.
It’s ok to explore alternative career paths –even if it’s not in the field of your uni degree.
2. Life goes on after your first real break up. Dw, you’ll fall in love again.
3. Start saving… like yesterday.
4. Travel more by yourself.
You’ll meet the most amazing souls and will have SPONTANEOUS UNFORGETTABLE experiences.
5. Move out of home earlier. You’ll be poor but your life will be A LOT more interesting and fun.
6. No reply is a reply.
They’re not interested, move on and stop stalking their Instagram.
7. Sharpen your public speaking skills.
Articulate your thoughts, it’ll help you in your professional and personal life (tip: I joined Toastmasters).
8. Your metabolism will slow down...
So eat everything and maybe learn to eat healthy earlier!
9. You’ll grow out of friendships, but gain new AMAZING friends along the way.
10. Spend quality time with your parents. They’re getting older too!
11. Don’t feel disheartened by the job hunting process.
Take the interview. Refine how you talk about your skillset. The right job will eventually come along -as long as you keep trying.
12. The company you keep is more important than the places you go.
17. Be comfortable enough to go to an art gallery, music gig, movie or comedy show by yourself.
22. Have goals but be flexible in your approach.
Because life doesn’t always happen the exact way you might have hoped.
12. Live overseas or take an exchange at uni.
13. Use protection and save yourself the pregnancy scare.
14. Increase your general knowledge on current affairs and politics. Formulate your own POV on issues which matter to you most.
15. Read more books.
Learn shit and expand your vocabulary. Also, write a short summary so you actually retain the information.
16. You’re going to get stretch marks -everyone does. Embrace it or Bio Oil it up.
18. You might not like your boss, but you have to respect them. The bottom of the pecking order sucks, but your boss has A LOT more knowledge and experience than you.
19. Holiday flings might not work out in the ‘real world’. Enjoy the moment for what it is.
20. Meditate or write in a journal.
Brain dump your thoughts so when you speak to someone, you don’t sound like a complete psychopath.
21. Everyone’s fighting their own internal battles. Don’t be so hard on yourself and others.
23. Be self sufficient -financially and emotionally. Oh and don’t trade loneliness for dating people who don’t respect you.
24. People will always have their 2 cents. Learn to take criticism without feeling like it’s a personal attack.
25. Learn an instrument, it will help you think laterally.
26. CLEAN YOUR ROOM and make your bed every morning.
27. Have a personal project so you’re not just working, sleeping, eating, drinking all the time. Trust me, your mental health needs it
28. Remember, you’re exactly where you need to be in life.
Be patient, work hard and be a fu*king good human. The rest will fall into place : )
What have you learned in your 20s? What’s on your bucket list? Let me know!